Afrezza® may cause serious side effects that can lead to death, including:
See “What is the most important information I should know about Afrezza®?” at the top of this page.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Signs and symptoms that may indicate low blood sugar include:
- Dizziness or light-headedness, sweating, confusion, headache, blurred vision, slurred speech, shakiness, fast heartbeat, anxiety, irritability or mood change, hunger.
- Decreased lung function. Your healthcare provider should check how your lungs are working before you start using Afrezza®, 6 months after you start using it and yearly after that.
- Lung cancer. In studies of Afrezza® in people with diabetes, lung cancer occurred in a few more people who were taking Afrezza® than in people who were taking other diabetes medications. There were too few cases to know if lung cancer was related to Afrezza®. If you have lung cancer, you and your healthcare provider should decide if you should use Afrezza®.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis. Talk to your healthcare provider if you have an illness. Your Afrezza® dose or how often you check your blood sugar may need to be changed.
- Severe allergic reaction (whole body reaction). Get medical help right away if you have any of these signs or symptoms of a severe allergic reaction:
- A rash over your whole body, trouble breathing, a fast heartbeat, or sweating.
- Low potassium in your blood (hypokalemia).
- Heart failure. Taking certain diabetes pills called thiazolidinediones or “TZDs” with Afrezza® may cause heart failure in some people. This can happen even if you have never had heart failure or heart problems before. If you already have heart failure it may get worse while you take TZDs with Afrezza®. Your healthcare provider should monitor you closely while you are taking TZDs with Afrezza®. Tell your healthcare provider if you have any new or worse symptoms of heart failure including:
- Shortness of breath, swelling of your ankles or feet, sudden weight gain.
Treatment with TZDs and Afrezza® may need to be changed or stopped by your healthcare provider if you have new or worse heart failure.
Get emergency medical help if you have:
• Trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, swelling of your face, tongue, or throat, sweating, extreme drowsiness, dizziness, confusion.
The most common side effects of Afrezza® include:
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), cough, sore throat
These are not all the possible side effects of Afrezza®. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).